Saturday, May 7, 2011

Finland: Isn't it too good to be true?

I am just appaled by everything that we have read and talked about with regards to the Finnish education system.  It just seems incredibly perfect in any way.  Are there any negatives to their system?  I mean it hardly seems possible that they could have:
  • shorter school days
  • highly qualified (yet not particularly highly paid) teachers
  • better international test scores
  • a more progressive model
  • no special education
  • emphasis on ALL study areas (math and language as well as foreign languages, art, and music, etc.)
  • strong teachers unions
  • few standardized tests
  • no achievement gap
  • modest funding

It just doesn't seem possible that all of these characteristics could exist together under the same system.  It seems like something would have to give. 

So if it truly is as good as it seems, my question is: why aren't we imitating them?

Doesn't it seem a little bizarre that we see the continued growth of standardized testing when that is an aspect of Chinese system and barely exists in Finland.  We certainly would rather be like Finland than China.....wouldn't we?

I'm thinking about what I knew before taking this class.  I don't think I had ever heard about Finland.  It has a notoriously excellent education system among the Academia, but yet the majority of Americans probably have no idea.  Now China, on the other hand, everybody knows that they are a threat.  Why is that?

If the country knew more about the Finnish education system, I think there would be a whole different push in education reform.  I don't think that Standardized tests would be the answer.  I think it would be about qualified teachers, incorporated special education, more progressive learning, etc.  Personally, I think that would be a great thing.  I would love to see our ideas on schooling transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment